For Good Friday, all 4 churches that meet at Evergreen (I lead worship for two of them) got together and did an all-night prayer vigil service. It was a really cool experience, and each church encouraged everyone in the congregation to come for one hour during the night.
We had one hour carved out for worship music (from 11p to midnight), and I led that part by myself on acoustic. I think it went really well – there were more people there than I expected, and I personally had a great time worshipping God and reflecting on the cross.
Here are the songs I played:
- Sweetly Broken – Jeremy Riddle
- Hosanna – Hillsong (Brooke Fraser)
- Mighty To Save – Hillsong
- Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone) – Tomlin
- The Wonderful Cross – Tomlin
- Breathe – Marie Barnett
- Amazing Love (You Are My King) – Billy Foote
- Jesus Paid It All – Kristian Stanfill ver.
- Blessed Be Your Name – Matt Redman
- You Never Let Go – Matt Redman
- How He Loves – John Mark McMillan
- The Heart of Worship – Matt Redman
- Revelation Song – Jennie Lee Riddle
I sort of grouped songs by key, which allowed me to just flow from one to the next. Another thing I did was some encouraging between songs while strumming. I’m not so great at talking while I strum – it’s like my brain is keeping track of too many things at once, ha! I usually have other musicians in the band playing while I speak a scripture or an encouragement on Sunday mornings, but this time it was just me. It came off better than I thought!
Overall, it was really good night.